FreshBooks is planet Earth’s leading online invoicing and simple online accounting service for small businesses. Since 2004, FreshBooks has helped over 3.5 million people take the pain out of running their businesses. Dedicated to designing extraordinary customer experiences, FreshBooks helps people focus on what they love to do, instead of their paperwork.
1. How big is your “helpdesk team” and how many customers do you have?
To us, supporting FreshBooks customers with knock-your-socks-off service is just a part of who we are. We have 13 Support Rockstars supporting our customers and are trusted by more than 3.5 million users worldwide.
2. What’s the main reason, you care about your customer support services?
Support is the cornerstone of FreshBooks and an important part of what sets us apart.
We understand that our clients are busy, they’re running a business, usually by themselves or in a small team, and their time is both limited and precious. When they have a problem, it needs to be solved quickly. They do not have time for hold music or waiting for an email reply the next day. When they call FreshBooks, the phone is answered right away, and we find solutions as quickly as possible.
3. What kind of metrics are you using to measure customer satisfaction and performance of your agents?
FreshBooks measures customer happiness by attaching a feedback form in every ticket the support team works on. This allows the team and the Support Rockstar to learn from positive and negative customer experiences. Having happy customers is crucial for FreshBooks and getting immediate feedback allows us to maintain our high standard of customer service.
We also use internal reports to ensure that the support load is manageable and that it is equally distributed across the team.
4. Do you have any special motivation programs for your helpdesk agents?
We have a motto at FreshBooks, which is “Execute on Extraordinary Experiences Everyday”. When any member of the company displays a behavior that matches this motto, their colleagues are encouraged to recognize them with a gift card. We call these “Values Cards.” The support team also gets recognized when they reach a particular milestone in terms of cases resolved, longest call, etc.
5. What is, in your opinion, the future of helpdesk systems?
While we can’t quite predict the future, we can safely say that our support team will never be replaced by robots or outsourced!
6. What’s the most important virtue a helpdesk agent must have?
Empathizing with customers and clients is one of the most important things we can do to offer the best service possible. Stepping into their shoes allows us to see things from a different angle and helps us really understand the customer’s pain. Everyone on our support team embodies this virtue and it is even part of our company-wide values!
7. Do you have a funny story from your helpdesk that you would like to share with us? (We know that there’s a lot of them
Surprising and delighting customers is something that is encouraged at FreshBooks. Just a couple weeks ago, a support team member opened a ticket that was an auto-response message from one of our customers who mentioned in the message that he is away to spend time with his new baby boy. Instead of just deleting the auto-response message, the member of the support team decided to send this customer a lamb blanket for the baby. It’s small things like this which help us foster a long-term relationship with our customers.
Interviews - other posts
- Interview with SoundCloud.com about their customer support
- CEO of usertesting.com on customer support
- Slideshop and their customer service
- FreshBooks – empathy is most important in your customer service
- Learn about customer support from CEO of Youneedabudget.com
- WideXS and their customer support
- How Klout.com uses Nicereply in their team
- Bringing the art to the customer support (Interview with Bigcartel)
- 7 things you have may not known about the Diamond Candles
- Exciting insights into Mindvalley (Interview)
- Bizness Apps – “Our Client’s Success is Our Success!”